they don't have the slightest clue as to what that really means, or entails. Many think that just because they were born here in America, that makes them a Christian. Some think it means that they have to give their life to Jesus so they can live a good and happy life, or some participate in strange rituals to bring about a sensual "experience" of God's presence. Dear reader just because someone says they are a Christian, that doesn't make them one, any more than a mule made to look like a thoroughbred, will win the Kentucky Derby! Just a few years ago, I used to be a fake Christian. I was part of the Word of Faith cult, and also a Conservative Republican. At one time, I shared many of Ms. Ann Coulter's views, but some of the things she said made me wince, as the above quote so aptly demonstrates. By her own admission, and according to Scripture, she too is a hypocrite.
No real Christian brags about being mean spirited. I assure you that a person can have moral convictions and share them without being mean spirited. As for bigoted? Well, that topic is rather subjective. So I ask you...why don't people realize that there are liars, hypocrites, and wannabes out there? Jesus said that we would know a genuine Christian by their fruit, meaning they will reveal their true selves in what they say, but mostly by what they do.
- If someone claims to be a Christian, yet denies that Jesus is the Son of God, or that Jesus is God in the flesh, then he is a liar. He is following a false Christ.
- If someone claims to be a Christian yet bows to idols, worships dead people, venerates men in silky white pajamas, and honors angels, then he is a liar.
- If someone claims to be a Christian and claims to love God, yet says hateful things or acts in hatred toward his brother (fellow human as well as a fellow Christian), then he is a liar.
- If someone claims to be a Christian, yet lives in sexual sin and perversion, then he is a liar.
- If someone claims to be a Christian, yet regularly steels, lies, and cheats, then he is a liar.
- If someone claims to be a Christian, yet covets riches, gives heed to false teachers, despises sound doctrine, then he is a liar.
The Bottom Line
It is guaranteed to you that when you accept Jesus as your savior, you might loose one or all of the following in order to follow Jesus:
- your family
- your sinning friends
- your job/home
You will also have to give up your old way of life. No more:
- drugs, drunkenness, sorcery, idolatry
- fornication, adultery, homosexuality, rock-n-roll,
- lying/cheating, stealing, greed
- killing, cursing, outbursts of anger,
- hating your enemies, rebellion, treason etc. etc. etc.
Well, how does the narrow way of following Christ sound do far? Is true and real Christ-ianity sound like something you want to do? If not then you can love this world and all the sinful pleasures it has to offer and then perish, or you can live unto Christ by denying the temptations of sin and live with him forever. Think carefully. Count the cost. Calcu-late the bottom line. Will you follow him, or will you deny him? The choice is yours to make. It's like Jesus said, "For what shall it profit a man if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
For those scoffers who deny the existence of a spiritual dimension, much less God's right to rule, I would like to point out a simple sense of fairness. In Scripture, God claims that he made the universe out of nothing, while other stories of false gods and even the philosophy of evolution claim the universe was made from something, be it a body part of some hacked up god, or a tightly compacted mass of matter that for some strange reason exploded. These stories involve the universe being created or brought into existence by "things," while God made the universe out of nothing, which is so much harder to do, right? Fans of the movie: The Never Ending Story will get my point.
Therefore, the Almighty has the right to make the rules that govern his creation. And so, anyone claiming to be a Christian in this game of life, had better submit to God's plan of salvation, because there is no other acceptable plan, or provision. This is it. If you want to try and change the rules by cheating or ignoring them, that is your choice, just don't be surprised or angry when you are disqualified by the creator of the game. It's only fair, wouldn't you agree? I think so. So are you really a Christian, or are you a hypocrite and a liar? You can save yourself some embarrassment by testing yourself according to God's word, before someone else does and finds out you're a hypocrite and liar. Right, Ms. Coulter? I tested myself, and found I was a hypocrite and liar, and with Jesus' help, I've made the appropriate changes. And so I encourage you to do the same!