The Hoxsey diet is a whole foods diet that is used in conjunction with an herbal tonic to cure cancer naturally. So naturally, it has some expected restrictions, such as: no refined white and fake sugars, white flour. No GMO fruits, veggies, and grains. No feed lot meats, especially pork. No hydrogenated oils, most vegetable oils, highly processed foods with artificial flavors and colors, caffeine, alcohol, etc. are of course -- not allowed. Only organic, non-GMO fruits, veggies and dairy; grass-fed meats, and healthy fats. What is surprising is that there are a couple of food stuffs that are normally considered health foods, but are not allowed simply because they are believed to neutralize the Hoxsey tonic's effectiveness (Es no bueno!). And those two illegal substances are vinegar, and tomatoes! I know -- that pretty much rules out most condiments from the diet, including BBQ sauce!
The Building Blocks of a Good BBQ Sauce
- Wear an apron! Cherry stains are not easy to get out of your favorite shirt!
- I used one and half 10 oz bags of frozen cherries and packed them into a Pyrex measure cup to get 2 cups, so really, you could say 15 oz. of cherries by weight.
- All ingredients are organic, and Non-GMO, when possible.
- Keep stirring the sauce and make sure it doesn't burn! I cooked it for 10 min.
- To make ketchup instead, I'd leave out the coconut aminos, molasses, and ginger.