ut of sheer necessity, I have recently learned A LOT about this little talked about essential trace element, which is not just vital to healthy thyroid function, but it is also vital to the proper function of many other organs and systems. If fact, like many essential things in this life, we would die without it. Just take a look at how many things it does for us:
1) Iodine helps synthesize thyroid hormones and prevents both hypo- and hyperthyroidism.
2) Iodine sufficiency reverses hypo- and hyperthyroidism.
3) Iodine supports apoptosis (cell death).
4) Iodine activates hormone receptors and helps prevent certain forms of cancer.
5) Iodine protects ATP function and enhances ATP production.
6) Iodine prevents fibrocystic breast disease.
7) Iodine decreases insulin needs in diabetics.
8) Iodine helps support protein synthesis.
9) Iodine deficiency is a global health threat.
10) Iodine destroys pathogens, molds, fungi, parasites, and malaria.
11) Iodine supports immune function.
12) Iodine eliminates toxic halogens from the body (including radioactive I-131).
13) Iodine regulates estrogen production in the ovaries.
14) Iodine is anti-mucolytic (meaning it reduces mucus catarrh).
15) Iodine neutralizes hydroxyl ions and hydrates the cells.
16) Iodine makes us smarter.
17) Iodine prevents heart disease.
18) Iodine is needed with the use of cordless phones, cell phones and now smart meters to prevent hypothyroidism.
19) Iodine supports pregnancy (as the fetus undergoes more apoptosis than any other developmental stage).
20) High doses of iodine may be used to reverse certain diseases.
21) High doses of iodine may be used for wounds, bedsores, inflammatory and traumatic pain, and restoration of hair growth when applied topically.
22) Iodine helps in the diminishing of tissue scarring, cheloid formations, and Dupuytren’s and Peyronie’s contractures, which are hyper-scarring conditions.
23) Iodine supports spiritual development.
He/she may even have a common ailment that has spread like wildfire in the medical community within the last 68 years. It is known as: Iodophobia, and it started its insidious outbreak after 1948, thanks in no small part to Drs. Jan Wolff and Israel Lyon Chaikoff, who supposedly observed a reduction of thyroid hormone levels after ingesting a large amount of iodine. Their study involved rats, which may actually explain why so many doctors are infected by it, and readily accepted the Drs. findings without any critical review. That is until Dr. Guy E. Abraham got a hold of their biased findings.
For example, there is a huge controversy still going on regarding the study done by Dr. Andrew Wakefield who supposedly linked MMR vaccination with autism. The medical community at large has pretty much proven that Dr. Wakefield is very wrong about his hypothesis, and has even retracted his papers from their medical journals - ouch! But it's too little too late, as many feel that the damage has been done. Many people are now convinced that his findings are true. I'm no stranger to conspiracy theories, but let's not lose sight of the truth, the man lied about his research, even if he meant well. (If you want to avoid autism, research shows how iodine protects children from it.)
And it's in this tradition, of debunking junk science, that Dr. Abraham has proven that Dr.s Wolff and Chaikoff were very wrong about their hypothesis regarding the overdose of iodine, which has lead to an epidemic of what Dr. Abraham has coined: Iodophobia, and as a result, billions of people have suffered needlessly, and are far more sick than they should be.
Medical Iodophobia Defined
Medical Iodophobia Signs & Symptoms
- A) Split personality: resulting in iodophobia within the orthoiodosupplementation previously used safely and successfully in medical practice and iodophylia for
- B) Double standards: rendering physicians intolerant to the minor side effects of the
- C) Amnesia: pertaining to the inorganic, nonradioactive forms of iodine when making therapeutic decisions
- D) Confusion: attributing the severe side effects of organic iodine-containing
- E) Altered states of consciousness: allowing doublethink, doublespeak, and contradictory logic to become acceptable.
Dr. Abraham goes on to say:
Although the factors involved in medical iodophobia are still unknown, decreased cognition seems involved. Since low iodine intake is associate with intellectual impairment, deficiency of this essential element cannot be ruled out, and if present, would create a self-perpetuating phenomenon. Needless to say, medical iodophobia is contagious, and can be transmitted to patients and other physicians (iatrogenic iodophobia). Medical iodophobia will remain a syndrome until the causes are discovered and effective therapy implemented. It is very likely however, that medical iodophobia will eventually be classified as an iodine-deficiency disease.
Goodbye Iodine. Hello Chemical "X"
Iodine From Sea Creatures
Whole Foods Are Best
What To Do?
The Optimox website has a great many articles that can help educate you on this subject. There is also a book called: Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It by David Brownstein. I'm currently reading in PDF. So, if your a science type, and you can find a lab that will not require a doctor to order or read the lab, then you can take the DIY approach fairly confidently. The rest of us are left to wing it.